Monday 26 November 2007

Personal Column: The Scots

So am I the only Englishman who was happy to see Scotland crash out of the European Championships?

All week I have been hearing things like: "It's such a shame isn't it?" and "I wanted them to make it."

Why is this? Do you think that anyone was upset north of the border after our abject defeat to Croatia?

Wasn't that Andy Murray in a Paraguay shirt shortly before our World Cup opener?

And the thing is, that is how it should be. I want competition between England and Scotland. I want the jokes and the banter. I want the passion and the hatred. And above all I want to smugly bask myself in schadenfreude when they once again fail to reach a major tournament.

What I don't want is some sort of cuddly United Kingdom lovefest.

Scotland are our rivals, our biggest foes. And quite simply, we shouldn't want them to win.

And as an England supporter sitting in England, I want the focus of the media coverage to be, erm, England.

It is infuriating when live feeds from the England camp are interrupted to bring us some pub in Stranraer that had been decked out in tartan.

Perhaps bringing back the home nations will revitalise tensions and restore some sanity.

I once witnessed some Scotland fans in kilts chanting 'Italy' after the Italians beat us 1-0. And when Christian Panucci's ninetieth minute header floated into the back of the net, I rejoiced in chanting the same.