Thursday 29 May 2008

Tim and his marathons

The following story about my mate Tim has been used on the Birmingham Mail website:

FOR most people running one marathon would be a challenge, but ambitious Tim Carter is attempting to run three within a month.

The 23-year-old, from Edgbaston, will be attempting the Prague marathon on the 11th May and then the Edinburgh Marathon on the 25th May, in addition to the Sheffield Half Marathon which he completed in April.

"I always planned on doing a marathon this year, and I had my hopes set on London with a
contingency plan of Paris," he said.

"Unfortunately I got into neither and I was quite disheartened until a friend pointed out that there were other marathons in the world.

"I found out about Prague and Edinburgh and for reasons which in recent days I have been questioning, I decided to go for both!

"I'm a little nervous, because with distance running you need constant reassurances that you are still in shape.

"I hope that once I get going, things will be alright!"

The architect is attempting the feat of endurance in an attempt to raise £1,000 for Cancer Research.

He said: "It's something I feel quite strongly about - it has affected a couple of people who I know in my lifetime, one of whom I was quite close to.

"I have set myself a target of raising £1000, but in truth, anything I can raise I will be pleased with.

"I have been overwhelmed thus far with the generosity of those who have contributeed."

Tim has been training five or six days a week for the last three months in preparation for the challenge, covering an average of fifty miles a week.

He is aiming to break the mythical three hour mark in at least one race, which only 1.8% of marathon runners achieve.

Anyone wishing to sponsor Tim can do so by visiting http://www.justgiving.com/2andahalfmarathons

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/2008/05/27/marathon-man-tim-carter-limber-up-for-charity-challenge-97319-20980626/